If you’re buying a house for the first time, you probably have many questions about how it all works.
One of the things you’re probably wondering is how long it takes to close on a home after you’ve made the decision to buy it.
How Long Does it Take to Close on a House?
In most cases, it takes between 30 and 60 days to close on a house once you’ve started the process.
Here’s how it happens:
- Your Realtor gives you a copy of a purchase agreement and addendums (specific lists of things that must be done for the purchase to happen, whether it’s that the seller needs to paint, you need to hire a pest inspector, or anything of that nature)
- You put down an earnest money deposit to show the seller you’re serious and fully intend to buy the home
- Your home inspector visits the property and provides you with a complete report
- The seller fulfills all his or her obligations
- You walk through the home to inspect it
- The lender’s appraiser completes his or her report to show that the home is worth what you’re borrowing to buy it
- You sign all the required documents, and so does the seller
- Your lender gives the money to the seller
- Your down payment is applied to the balance of your mortgage loan and you pay your closing costs
- You get the keys to your new home
There are a lot of factors at play here, so there’s always going to be some variation in how long it takes to close on a home. For example, if it takes the seller longer to paint, or if it takes your lender longer to approve your loan because they need to re-check your documentation, you’re looking at a later closing date than you originally were.
On the other hand, sometimes it all works like a well-oiled machine and you’ll close before you anticipated doing so.
The short answer to the question about how long it takes to close on a home: it depends. It’s usually 30 to 60 days from the day you start the process, but leave some wiggle room so you’re not making plans to move at the wrong time.
Are You Moving to Lake City?
If you’re moving to Lake City, we can help you find the perfect place to live. Call us at 386-243-0124 to tell us what you want from your home and we will begin searching right away.
In the meantime, check out the most popular Lake City home searches by exploring the links below.
- Water Front Residential
- Water Front Land
- Bank Owned & Foreclosures
- Short Sales
- Paved Road Frontage
- Non Deed Restricted Land
- Wooded Oak Tree Land
- Land for Land Home Combo