As much as we don’t want to admit it, fall is officially here. That means it’s time to start prepping your home for winter – and despite the fact that we live in North Florida, there’s plenty to do.
15 Fall and Winter Home Maintenance Tips
Getting ready for colder weather means you have to scope out your entire home. You’ll need to:
- Check for worn weather stripping and replace where necessary
- Check for gaps where bugs and animals may try to sneak in to escape the cold
- Seal off areas that let cold air into your home
- Inspect your exterior walls, where you’ll look for cracks or blisters in the paint
- Make sure you have plenty of firewood (but don’t store it up against your home)
- Have your heating and cooling system serviced
- Clean out and repair gutters
- Check for damaged shingles and worn out seals
- Put away your patio furniture
- Check your driveway for cracks
- Clean and store your grill
- Protect water pipes that are exposed to the elements
- Change the direction of your ceiling fans
- Test your smoke detectors and replace batteries as necessary (this goes for carbon monoxide detectors as well)
- Check all of your windows for drafts, loose frames and cracks
Fortunately, our winters aren’t as harsh as they are elsewhere in the country – but that doesn’t mean you can skip fall and winter maintenance. The things you do now will affect how well your house weathers the winter, and a few preventive measures can save you big money on repairs over time.
Are You Buying or Selling a Home in North Florida?
If you’re buying or selling a home in North Florida, we can help. Call us at 386-243-0124 or contact us online. We’ll be happy to help you.