Moving into a new home is almost always exciting, but it can be overwhelming—especially when you think about unpacking that mountain of boxes.
So what should you do first?
What to Do As Soon As You Move In
Before you begin unpacking, there are a few projects you’ll need to tackle first:
- Clean and prep. Wipe down shelves, clean the carpets and wash the windows before you start settling in.
- Organize your boxes. It’s always easier to unpack when the boxes are in the right rooms. As long as you marked the boxes properly, it should be a pretty straightforward process.
- Get the essentials first. When you pack, make sure all your necessities are in one box—toiletries, clothes, medications and basic kitchenware should go together so you don’t have to unpack every single box just to find what you need.
It’s usually a good idea to pack an “essentials” box for every family member, including pets. Mark it with bright orange tape or another attention-getter so you can locate it and open it right away.
Some of the most important things to unpack right away include:
- Nobody wants to sleep on a bare mattress!
- Bathroom items. Many of these will be in the whole-family “essentials” box, but don’t forget toilet paper, soap, towels and a shower curtain.
- Kitchen necessities… even if you only unpack a roll of paper towels and paper plates so you can have pizza.
Are You Buying a Home in Lake City?
Whether you’re buying a house, an equestrian property or other type of property for sale in Lake City, we’d love to help you.
Call us at 386-243-0124 or contact us online so we can begin searching for your next home right away.