Let’s face it: moving isn’t easy for anybody.
You can, however, make the process a little bit easier if you divide and conquer.
The Ultimate Moving Checklist
The process of moving starts long before the big day, so by breaking your tasks down into smaller, more manageable pieces, you’ll be able to relax throughout the process (okay, maybe you won’t relax – but it will be easier).
Starting long before moving day is generally the best way to tackle the process.
Two Months Before You Move
- Organize and donate. Go through your whole house (every room) and see if there’s anything you can do without. Even small concessions now can lead to an easier moving experience later, so it’s a good idea to purge your home of items that won’t be useful in your new house. Consider donating your items to the Purple Heart or another organization that you support; you could also hold a yard sale to pocket a little extra cash for moving expenses.
- Conduct your research. Figure out what size moving truck you’ll need or decide on a moving company that you can trust.
Six Weeks Before You Move
- Gather supplies. Now is the perfect time to collect moving boxes (you don’t have to purchase boxes; many grocery stores and other retailers are more than happy to donate used boxes if you call and ask when you can pick them up). Purchase tape, wrap and a sturdy set of permanent markers so you can note each box’s final destination to avoid confusion on moving day.
Four Weeks Before You Move
- Confirm your truck or moving company’s services. You’ll call again before the big day, but it never hurts to make sure your reservation hasn’t been misplaced or lost.
- Start packing. Things you don’t use very frequently should be the first to go.
- Fill out a change of address form. The USPS lets you file for a change of address online for a nominal fee.
Two Weeks Before You Move
- Triple-check with your movers or the truck rental company. Although you might feel like you’re being a pain, it’s better safe than sorry – and if they don’t have you scheduled to move now, there’s still time to solidify your reservation (or choose another company if you’re not comfortable using them).
Are You Ready for Moving Day?
If you haven’t found the home of your dreams yet, take a minute to browse through our North Florida homes for sale. You can also call us at 386-243-0124 or send us a note to let us know what you’re looking for; as soon as we hear from you, we’ll start building a custom search to help you find the perfect place to call home.
Image courtesy of Nicolas Huk on Flickr.