When you’re buying land for sale in Columbia County, you’ll need to make sure the title is clear – and that’s what a title agency does for you.
But what is a cloud on the title, and how does it affect your property ownership?
What is a Clouded Title?
A cloud on a title means there’s a document, claim, unreleased lien or encumbrance that could invalidate the title someone holds to a property.
If someone could challenge the ownership of the property, there’s a cloud on the title.
Common Reasons a Title is Clouded
Things that could impede the transfer of ownership – or that could allow someone to challenge ownership once you buy the property – can include:
- Recording errors. If someone made a typo, this can delay clearing of a title.
- If someone forges a deed, it could impair your homeownership.
- If there’s an outstanding lien on a property, someone could challenge your ownership or make you pay for the debt – even if it’s not yours.
Are You Moving to Lake City?
If you’re moving to Lake City, we can help you find the perfect place to live. Call us at 386-243-0124 to tell us what you want from your home and we will begin searching right away.
In the meantime, check out the most popular Lake City home searches by exploring the links below.
- Waterfront residential in Lake City
- Waterfront land in Columbia County
- Bank-owned homes and foreclosure in Columbia County
- Short sales in Columbia County
- Paved road frontage for sale in Columbia County
- Non-deed-restricted land for sale in Columbia County
- Wooded oak tree land for sale in Columbia County
- Land-for-land home combo in Lake City