When you’re buying land for sale in Columbia County, you’re most likely going to have to pay property taxes. But what are property taxes, and how will they affect your home ownership?
What Are Property Taxes?
Property taxes are taxes you have to pay based on the value of your land. The taxes on land often, but not always, cost less than properties that have a home or other structures on them. The value of the property determines how much the property taxes cost.
What Do Property Taxes Cover?
Property taxes pays for services that the local government provides, such as:
- Road maintenance
- Public education
- Emergency services
- Operation of local government offices
The local tax assessor will determine how much your property taxes are by valuing your home. The county assessor makes assessments right after a property is “improved,” such as when you build a home. If you put on an addition or add a barn, your property might be reassessed.
Are You Moving to Lake City?
If you’re moving to Lake City, we can help you find the perfect place to live. Call us at 386-243-0124 to tell us what you want from your home and we will begin searching right away.
In the meantime, check out the most popular Lake City home searches by exploring the links below.
- Waterfront residential in Lake City
- Waterfront land in Columbia County
- Bank-owned homes and foreclosure in Columbia County
- Short sales in Columbia County
- Paved road frontage for sale in Columbia County
- Non-deed-restricted land for sale in Columbia County
- Wooded oak tree land for sale in Columbia County
- Land-for-land home combo in Lake City