When you’re selling a home in Lake City or a nearby city, you need to make it as appealing as possible to buyers – and that includes making sure there aren’t any funky odors in it.
But what are you supposed to do about pets, smoke and other odors?
Here’s what you need to know.
How to Get Rid of Odors in Your Home Before You Sell It
Odors can send buyers running for the hills as soon as their agent opens the door. It’s a good idea to make your home smell as neutral as possible – and your best bet to find problem areas is to invite over a friend or family member you can trust to be honest.
Ask your guest to let you know what your house smells like… we can’t smell our own houses because we’re used to them.
Then, take action.
Light Odor Removal
Check out these common odor-neutralizers for light odors:
- Baking soda. Open a container and let it sit overnight.
- Coffee grounds. Put used coffee grounds in a bowl – they’re very absorbent.
- White vinegar. Use bowls of white vinegar to neutralize light smells.
- Apple cider vinegar. Pour this down your drain if it’s a bit musty.
Smoke Odor Removal
Streaks from nicotine can end up on your walls and ceiling, and they give off odors long after you’ve stopped smoking in the house. First, wash the walls and windows. Then, leave the doors and windows open for about two days.
If the odors are persistent, use a cleaner like trisodium phosphate – or, if all else fails, use an odor-blocking primer and sealant. Dry clean your curtains and upholstery.
Are You Buying a Home for Sale in Lake City?
If you’re moving to Lake City, we can help you find the perfect place to live. Call us at 386-243-0124 to tell us what you want from your home and we will begin searching right away.
In the meantime, check out the most popular Lake City home searches by exploring the links below.
- Waterfront residential in Lake City
- Waterfront land in Columbia County
- Bank-owned homes and foreclosure in Columbia County
- Short sales in Columbia County
- Paved road frontage for sale in Columbia County
- Non-deed-restricted land for sale in Columbia County
- Wooded oak tree land for sale in Columbia County
- Land-for-land home combo in Lake City