If you’re like many people, you’re dreaming of living the farm life – you want a big property filled with livestock, and you’re prepared to do all the hard work it entails.
But how do you know you’re ready to buy a farm?
Here’s what to look at as you take stock of your options.
How Do You Know You’re Ready to Buy a Farm in North Florida?
You know you’re ready to buy a farm in North Florida (or elsewhere) if you:
- Have realistic expectations
- Know how much it’ll cost to connect utilities
- Understand what kind of infrastructure you’ll need
- Know how much land you can handle
Here’s a closer look at each.
Having Realistic Expectations
Setting realistic expectations is perhaps the most important factor that determines whether you’re ready to buy a farm. It’s great to want to dive in with both feet on a 2,000-acre parcel of land, but you have to think critically and ensure that:
- You can secure the financing
- You’ll be able to handle property taxes
- You can realistically add animals
Knowing How Much Utilities Will Cost
Not all farmland has the necessary utilities – and if the land you want doesn’t, you’ll have to ensure that you can pay what’s necessary to get things like water, electricity and gas to the property. You’ll also have to ensure that it’s possible to get utilities; sometimes nearby landowners don’t want water companies to place pipelines, for example.
Every farm needs the right infrastructure, and that can include things like:
- Water systems
If you find property that doesn’t have those things, you’ll have to evaluate what you need to run a successful farm. Don’t forget to account for upkeep and maintenance, as well.
Knowing How Much Land You Can Handle
A farm is a lot of work – and the bigger it is, the more work it entails. If you’re like many people, you’re optimistic about your ability to handle it, but it’s important that you take a good look at your current lifestyle. Can you work full-time on the farm? Do you have the resources to hire help when necessary? What kind of time commitment will go into running the farm?
If you have realistic expectations and you know you’re ready, give us a call – we’ll help you find the perfect piece of farmland in Lake City or a nearby community.
Are You Buying a Home or Land for Sale in Lake City?
If you’re moving to Lake City, we can help you find the perfect place to live. Call us at 386-243-0124 to tell us what you want from your home and we will begin searching right away.
Check these out:
- Paved road frontage for sale in Columbia County
- Non-deed-restricted land for sale in Columbia County
- Wooded oak tree land for sale in Columbia County
- Land-for-land home combo in Lake City
- Waterfront residential in Lake City
- Waterfront land in Columbia County
- Bank-owned homes and foreclosure in Columbia County
- Short sales in Columbia County