If you’re like many people, you’ve seen the homes for sale in Lake City that have “seller financing” on the listing. But is seller financing a good idea if you’re buying or selling? Here’s what you need to know to make the right choice for your future.
Is Seller Financing a Good Idea?
Seller financing is the process of skipping a conventional lender and signing a mortgage agreement with a property owner, who agrees to sell you the property through a series of payments (usually with one balloon payment within several years).
There are risks to buyers and sellers with this type of transaction, but it can run smoothly and can be a great option.
Pros of Seller Financing
Buyers and sellers can enjoy some benefits through seller financing. For buyers:
- Closing is generally faster because you don’t have to wait on a lender to process and approve an application
- You don’t pay lender fees or appraisal costs
- You can be, with the seller’s agreement, more flexible on your down payment
- You don’t have to apply for a conventional mortgage
- You can sell the house as-is and let the buyer make repairs
- You can sell the promissory note that a buyer signs to an investor, which would give you a lump-sum payment
- You can sell and close faster than you would if you had to wait on a lender
Cons of Seller Financing
There are potential downsides to seller financing, as well.
- The seller may charge you a higher interest rate than what you’d get from a conventional lender
- You may need to come up with the remainder of your balance due within a few years of signing your agreement with the seller, and if you don’t get financing, the seller can reclaim the property
- The buyer could stop making payments, and if you still have a loan on the property, you may have to pay them yourself – or even face foreclosure
- You’ll have to make repairs and upgrades if you end up repossessing the property from the buyer
Are You Buying a Home or Land for Sale in Lake City?
If you’re moving to Lake City, we can help you find the perfect place to live. Call us at 386-243-0124 to tell us what you want from your home and we will begin searching right away.
Check these out:
- Paved road frontage for sale in Columbia County
- Non-deed-restricted land for sale in Columbia County
- Wooded oak tree land for sale in Columbia County
- Land-for-land home combo in Lake City
- Waterfront residential in Lake City
- Waterfront land in Columbia County
- Bank-owned homes and foreclosure in Columbia County
- Short sales in Columbia County